Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Mates of State, Santogold, and more.


Goods - Mates of State



Featured above is one of my favorite songs by Mates of State, who I will be going to see in concert on Friday!!!! SO EXCITED to finally be seeing them live. I've loved their music for quite a while, they are seriously one of the few bands I can listen to over and over and it just never gets old. And I've probably said this before, but their music totally puts me in a good mood. It's all upbeat and happy sounding, which is something you don't find much of nowadays. And I find their whole husband-and-wife-touring-together-with-two-toddlers story completely inspiring (you can read more about that on their blog). It's pretty awesome that they make such good music with an organ and drums...totally unique sound, and I love the harmonies they put together. I have several live videos of them on my youtube channel that are definitely worth checking out. :] And in honor of my upcoming MOS concert experience, here are my current ten favorite songs- a mix of new ones and old ones:

1. Think Long
2. Like U Crazy
3. Open Book
4. Punchlines
5. Proofs
6. Gotta Get A Problem
7. Great Dane
8. My Only Offer
9. Running Out
10. The Re-Arranger

You can probably listen to a couple of those on their myspace, and of course you can find them on itunes.

I am still loving Santogold right now (I unfortunately missed the tour that featured her AND Mates of State). Her entire self-titled album is so great. I can't get enough of singers/songwriters who have their own styles...seems they are few and far between these days. "Lights Out" and "L.E.S. Artistes" are my two favorite tracks right now. awesomeness. I also saw the Sex and the City movie this weekend- loved it and I'm enjoying the soundtrack (Fergie's "Labels or Love" has pretty much been dominating car stereo this week). That's kind of old news but I just got around to seeing the movie.

On to other things. Pink's "So What" is growing on me. I really don't understand, because I hated it when it first came out. I really do believe that songs you listen to repeatedly, for whatever reason, eventually grow on you somehow. That song is on the radio ALL THE TIME. Maybe it's some kind of subconscious white flag...like you can't get away from the song, so your brain figures you might as well start liking it. One song that I do not like and hope that I don't start liking is "If I Were a Boy" by Beyonce. Like seriously...I think that dead horse has been beaten one too many times. Supposedly even Ciara stole the idea for her song ("Like a Boy") from someone, but whatever, let's get past this whole writing-songs-about-being-the-opposite-sex. Although I never hear many songs from the opposite perspective. Point is, it's getting old. I don't care what you would or wouldn't do if you were a boy because, well, you're not so it doesn't matter!!! And this whole Beyonce alter-ego thing..."Sasha Fierce"...I mean, seriously? Seriously. Sasha Fierce. I can't not laugh at that.

I'm going to see Twilight tomorrow night at midnight (a decision I think I may regret on Friday morning)! YAY!!!! I've been wanting to listen to the soundtrack but I haven't really had time. Any soundtrack that includes bands like Muse, Collective Soul, and Iron & Wine can't be bad. I heard a clip of Rob Pattinson's song (Rob Pattinson plays the main character in the movie, for all you non-Twilighters) and it sounded good I think. I didn't really picture his voice sounding like it did in the song, doesn't really sound like a British person's voice if that makes any sense.

Also, I am enjoying all the Christmas music. I've decided that it is not too early. When November 28th rolls around, you only have 27 days left to celebrate Christmas and that comes and goes way too fast. I'm an advocate of celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas together. I was happy when Wham!'s "Last Christmas" popped up on my ipod today. :]

1 comment:

Crimefish22 said...

I will surely bring a sample of musical brilliance with me to the festivities Saturday. I don't have my finger on the pop music pulse, so I didn't realize Beyonce had adopted an alter ego named "Sasha Fierce". You're correct, that is high comedy. Do you remember the Garth Brooks/Chris Gaines experiment, or was that before your time? That was a truly pathetic stunt. The only example I can think of that worked is maybe Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era. And of course my beloved Bob Dylan took on many different personas within the Dylan umbrella, as perfectly portrayed by the recent Todd Haynes film I'm Not There. Did I leave an example out, good or bad?