Thursday, December 18, 2008

props to Obama and The White Stripes

So I'm going to visit politics again. I really want to address this article about gay leaders being angry with Obama for choosing evangelist Rick Warren to lead the invocation at his inauguration.

Here's how I am looking at the situation. Say, for instance, Obama had chosen a super liberal pro-homosexual-agenda pastor to lead the invocation. I don't doubt that people from the religious right would be talking about how terrible of a decision that would be, and they would be labeled as bigoted and closed-minded (probably rightly so). How is this not the same situation, the groups just reversed?? Rick Warren may hold beliefs about homosexuality that many do not agree with, but that doesn't make him any less worthy of making an appearance at an inauguration that is supposed to mark change and promote the coming together of America. It seems like we always hear about one side of closed-mindedness, but not when it's coming from the minority group involved. Why is it always assumed that Christians are judgmental and hateful towards the LGBT community? I know we haven't made the best reputation for ourselves, but lumping all of us in the same category of discriminatory bigots doesn't do anything for compromise. Just because I disagree with someone doesn't mean I'm not able to still respect them and their differing opinions. And on that note, I don't assume that everyone in the LGBT community feels the same way about Obama's choice.

I always enjoy reading comments from readers at the end of news articles, and here are a couple from that article that I completely agreed with:
"So, because Pastor Warren doesn't endorse gay marriage, he somehow becomes unfit to offer the invocation? That doesn't really seem all that tolerant of different points-of-view now does it? Imposing a "party line" isn't exactly going to win over anyone on the fence on any issue; rather, it simply alinates everyone who might share other views and essentially says, "my way or the highway." That's a sure-fired way to make sure nothing you support goes anywhere."
-Mike

"Solmonese (one of the gay leaders involved) wants to be inclusive as long as he likes who is included. Just because people that disagree with you are at Obama's enormous table, doesn't preclude you from being an equally valuable guest. Human Rights are not the exclusive territory of any minority."
-Oddball (their username I presume)

That pretty much sums up my feelings on the situation, and we'll end it there. Although I might not be in line with all of Obama's ideas, I sincerely do hope his presidency is successful in bringing together people with different views and beliefs.

In lighter news, I am on a White Stripes kick. Jack White is a genius. So just fyi, here's a list of some of my all-time favorite Stripes songs:
1. Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground
2. I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mother's Heart
3. Ball and Biscuit
4. There's No Home For You Here
5. My Doorbell

Any readers care to share your favorites (coughcoughCarey I know you're a fancoughcough)?

Most of those are pre-Get Behind Me Satan era, because I didn't really get into that album or Icky Thump. There are many more favorites as well, the list is interchangeable based on my moods.

other random things worth mentioning:
I've decided that "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany is one of my favorite 80's songs. I have video blackmail of a certain best friend of mine clogging to that song circa 1991 in a metallic purple outfit. awesomeness.

Well, Christmas is just around the corner now! I feel that my 40-hour work week has impeded by ability to fully enjoy the season. Thanks a lot Real World. But I hope you all enjoy your holidays. :)

1 comment:

Crimefish22 said...

Here's a few right off the old noggin:

"Death Letter" (Son House cover) and "Hello Operator" from De Stijl.

"One More Cup of Coffee" (Bob Dylan Cover) from White Blood Cells.

"Red Rain" from Get Behind Me Satan.

"Little Cream Soda" and "Catch Hell Blues" from Icky Thump.

I liked your list, I fell in love with Stripes the first time I heard "Ball and Biscuit", J-Dub is filthy on that one.

I have to see this clogging video, she clogged for us the other night at Rum Runners, though she claimed to be rusty.