Monday, February 1, 2010

Mindy Smith

Well, here lately I've gone from a Björk kick to a Mindy Smith kick...I know. That's like going from orange juice to supreme pizza with pickles. What can I say? I like to keep the variety going. I may return to Björk later.

I first heard Mindy Smith when she opened for Nickel Creek at ASU. Such a great show. Mindy Smith is fantastic. She has a tone for country/bluegrass that can't be learned. Kind of like Alison Krauss in the sense that there's no way you could ever practice for getting that vocal sound. You either have it or you don't.

She combines the themes of religion, love, and self-discovery in her songs and it's all really heartfelt. A straight-from-the-heart-to-the-page kind of thing. Love it. I wouldn't classify her as country or bluegrass. Somewhere inbetween, but more on the country side. Worth listening to however you choose to look at it though. Also, her cover of "Jolene" (featuring Dolly Parton) is really good if you like that song.

Recently I discovered this song of her's called "Peace of Mind" - a new favorite for sure. Favorite enough for me to post the lyrics...but you don't get half the meaning out of them compared to when you hear the actual song. It's one of the prettiest songs I've heard in a while I think. So I'll leave you with that.

I need peace of mind and a hopeful heart
to lose this rage and move out of the dark
I ain't lookin for rainbows or shooting stars,
just some peace of mind and a hopeful heart

I need peace of mind and a lullaby
cause there's an angry voice in my head tonight
telling me to do things that can't be right
I need peace of mind and a lullaby

And a miracle for this broken soul,
a little miracle for this broken soul

I need peace of mind and a gentle hand
as I try to change the way I am
and hope God forgives me when I can't
I need peace of mind and a gentle hand

or a miracle for this broken soul,
a little miracle for this broken soul

I need peace of mind and a hopeful heart

No comments: