Monday, November 1, 2010

back to blogging, and back to the 90's

After another 5 month hiatus, I'm back! Determined to keep hiatuses down to a couple weeks max from now on. I have been doing the tumblr thing as of late, and have found this to be a most excellent source of finding new (or rediscovering old) music. Music, shoes, and everything sparkly and Tori Amos about sums up my daily tumblr feed.

In the world of music, I have recently been on a huge Pearl Jam kick. Not sure I would have considered myself a fan (based on not even owning a full album) until now. I credit "Elderly Woman Behind a Counter in a Small Town" with turning me into one. I'm not gonna lie, at first I didn't even like the original version. I first heard Charlotte Martin's ah-mazing cover of the song, but after a few listens I fell in love with the original as well. The original usually eclipses the cover eventually, because it's, well, the original. Still working on adding to my Pearl Jam collection, but right now I would have to say my two absolute favorites are "Nothingman," and "Jeremy." I know the latter is one of their chart toppers, but I can't get over how crazy the message is and the uncanny-ness of everything that happened in years after. I have watched this live performance of the song about 100 times in the past week. Moving along.

Sidenote: Has anyone ever heard a comparison made between Eddie Vedder and Mac Powell? I seem to recall someone comparing them before. I guess I have to admit I hear a slight similarity in the tone of their voices, but Eddie Vedder > Mac Powell times a thousand. I have never liked Mac Powell's voice, but I would have come to that conclusion either way.

I've decided there are lots of decades I would preferred to have lived in for the sake of the music that was around. Don't know that anything can take the place of spot #1 which would go to the years that Pink Floyd was in its prime. The 90's gets a pretty high spot on the list though (obviously I was already born then, but you know what I mean). I was elementary school age during the early 90's, and might like to revisit it as someone age 18 or 19 ish, or whatever age it is when you start really appreciating music.

As seen on a comment on a youtube video (Pearl Jam performing Jeremy live), the early 90's may have been the "last years that music was considerable." Does that even make sense? I think I know what the guy is trying to say. And frankly, early 90's music is quickly becoming my most favorite genre to listen to. I'm starting to see it as a peak before it all took a turn for the worst. Kind of like a drug habit. Seven years in rehab, you're doing great then you crash. Early 90's would be the "doing great" run. Thoughts?

Whatever the case may be, you can bet that at any given afternoon in the near future, I'll probably be listening to some mix of Pearl Jam, Oasis, The Cranberries, Lisa Loeb, etc. and enjoying every minute of it.

4 comments:

-b said...

Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time - I can hook you up with some good songs by them!!!

Aubrey said...

Sounds good! Leave me a list!

Crimefish22 said...

I love the 90s music as well. It brings me back to high school and many regrettable flannel shirt/work boots ensembles. However, I disagree that it was the last time music was considerable. Take Radiohead, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Jay-Z and The Roots (among others) out of the equation? Not me. There will always be respectable musicians and bumblegum phonies, in any era. But seeing as you're on a 90s grunge kick, how about one of the most influential bands of that era? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R_-3w_Iwk0
Kurt Cobain said of "Smells Like Teen Spirit": "I was basically trying to rip off the Pixies. I've been delving into them alot lately. Check out that link, one of my faves.

Aubrey said...

Agreed, Carey. "The last years that music was considerable" may have been a bit of an overstatement. I guess it's easier to look back and see all the good stuff, and every year definitely has it's share of the bad as well. I wonder if maybe it's more an issue of the number of people who appreciate solid bands is decreasing. Or maybe it's all the same as it's ever been.

The Kurt Cobain quote is seriously interesting. I'm no Pixies expert by any means (the extent of my catalog = "Where Is My Mind"), but after watching that video, I think I can kind of hear a connection, especially with the lead singer. That's pretty crazy. Definitely liking the song.