Saturday, January 8, 2011

better live.

I think as a general rule, it's safe to say that music is better live than recorded 99% of the time (barring that the band/artist doesn't suck). So, with a couple of the iTunes gift cards I was given for Christmas, I went on a bit of a live album spending spree!

Since I've been on a Ben Folds kick, I decided to buy Ben Folds Live. SO good. Just Ben Folds and the piano. Love it. Not to mention, he is a freaking genius. I recommend this album for anyone who is a fan. My favorites right now would be "Emaline," and "Jane."

I'm an Avett Brothers newbie (sadly, the only song I knew when I saw them at MerleFest last summer was "I and Love and You), and just bought I and Love and You (the album) a few weeks ago. I literally cannot stop listening to it. They are amazing. So I went ahead and bought The Avett Brothers Live, Vol. 3. Favorites are "When I Drink" and "The Ballad of Love and Hate."

And FINALLY...I got around to buying Snakes and Arrows Live from Rush. I am really starting to get into them...which I think is a result of seeing the documentary "Beyond the Lighted Stage" (which I've actually watched three times). They are a seriously talented group, and I find it pretty amazing that they've remained together for all these years. In fact, they are going to be in Greensboro in April and I'm definitely considering forking over the $90 to see them.

On a random note, I also cannot stop listening to a song called "Clementine" by Sarah Jaffe.

Happy 2011!

No comments: